Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Happy New Year

Somewhat belated, perhaps, but it coincides with my first trip to the Hill of the New Year.

Much to the disapproval of Reg-next-plot, I don't visit the plot much in the middle of winter when the weather is bad.  This is because I can see little point in getting cold and/or wet for the sake of it just in order to do some jobs which can just as easily be undertaken in another couple of months when the world is a more cheerful place.

However, it being relatively dry and bright this morning, I thought that it was high time that I dug up the remainder of the year's potatoes, and to make sure that all was in one piece after the recent stormy weather.

Unsurprisingly, I had the place to myself, and spent a good hour or so forking up the potatoes and turning over the bed.  The day became increasingly gloomy, however, and by the time the Richard three plots down arrived, it started with a cold drizzle too.

I was just bagging up the potatoes and digging a couple of leeks at that point, and after we'd had a quick mull over of varieties of potato to be considered for growing this season, was glad to go home an defrost and leave him to it.

I had one of the potatoes as a jacket for tea with stew and veg - good warming fare - and can report that picasso potatoes are the best bakers ever, so that's a definite to grow again this year.

If there is a downside, it is that they weigh best part of a pound a piece and are the size of my head, so are rather substantial - but I think we can live with that!

4 comments:

  1. lucky you still digging up potatoes or unlucky i guess it depends on how you look at it..lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely lucky, Mrs P - we've had a mild but wet winter, so they haven't spoiled.

      Delete
  2. I learnt the hard way why you don't go up as much in winter. Went up to the plot this weekend to enjoy the rare sun and expand the beds. The soil was SO heavy because of all the rain. Now I know why I was the only one on the site despite the good weather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so easy to be impatient, isn't it - but it's January, and there's plenty of time. Grow some pea seed in a trough/pot for fresh pea shoots if you're getting itchy fingers!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...